Monday, February 18, 2013

WotY

I finally decided on my one word. My word of the year. The word that I'm going to REMEMBER all year so that I can be a better person.

I love this concept...resolutions are always so complicated and require way too much effort.

I actually had the word picked out shortly after I made my list, but I thought I needed to test it out for a little bit just to make sure.

And I think it's a keeper.


It first came to me when I was doing super awesome scripture study time while I was reading this talk by Elder Oaks. In it he says...

"We have to forego some good things in order to CHOOSE others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ..."

I feel like I've made some good choices in my lifetime...I've never really been thrown into a situation where the decision wasn't obvious, but the world knows I cannot make an decision where there are no consequences. I'm very obedient, and if you tell me when and where and what I will do it! But if you ask me to CHOOSE when and where and what, I will struggle.

And then Elder Oaks goes on to say:

"As we consider various choices, we should remember that it is not enough that something is good. Other choices are better, and still others are best."

And so...this year I much CHOOSE between good, better, and best even in situations that are not incredibly consequential.

Like this year I have chosen to serve a mission, instead of going to school or getting married (haha, that was just for a good laugh). And it it's the best decision I have ever made. And on my mission, I think I'm going to have to make some other very difficult choices, and I need to choose what is best.



Another highly influential moment in deciding this word was the day I found this message...


Because...just yes.

You're only 19 once...better CHOOSE to make it the best 19th year you'll ever have. No regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment