Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 16-18

YOUTH CONFERENCE!

Day 16

We got to the Stake Center bright and early this morning so we could get all ready for the trip down to Lehi. We got to meet our "Cities" while enjoying a Jamba Juice. I got put in the city of Lehi [funny huh, cause we were going to the city of Lehi! bahaha] and I actually knew a couple of people in my group, which is surprising cause I don't go to school with any of them. One of the girls was actually at EFY the same time I was and was in the group with Justin Schwendiman. Then Lehi and Sariah came and gave us some inspiring words for the week. I then got in a car with these lovely people, and we traveled down to our campsite. I was pretty proud of myself, because my mom wasn't there to help set up tents, so no one knew how to do it, but I figured it all out! After lunch was the building the boat activity...this was quite an adventure. Each city was given two canoes, 10 planks of wood and some twine to build a boat, kinda like Nephi. Our city had a pretty stable idea! We finally got the boat in the Jordan River, and we were the third team. Everyone was pretty scared to actually sit on the wood planks that were strapped between the two boats, so we fit 10 people on two canoes...I was standing. We caught up with another team, and of course they want to have a water fight, I got soaked. The next city we saw, also had the same idea, and it was at this point we realized we were taking on a lot of water in one of the canoes [not the one I was in!]. When we turned around to go back, one of the boys in my city saw his bishop in another craft and jumped off to go get him drenched. We then had boat problems...the people rowing weren't paying attention and actually turned us around again, and in the process of turning the right direction we got caught in some bushes on the side of the river, and then Ashton decided to get back on the boat...this is when we sank. Lauren Andrus and myself were not very happy, so we just began to swim back. Don't EVER go swimming in the Jordan River, it's super nasty. So this is how I ended up smelling like fish and dirt for the weekend :P. We then made some bracelets, and had some of the most delicious dinner I've ever had at Youth Conference [Pulled pork sandwiches and cheesy ranch potatoes with bacon...YUM! Thank you mom!] We then had Lehi come back and tell us of his Tree of Life dream. For desert, we had white chocolate covered apples...delicious! We then packed twelve girls into one tent, we were crowded, but that's just how 3rd ward rolls!

Day 17

Day two of this exciting weekend. After a good nights sleep [haha, 12 girls, one tent...did we have a good nights sleep?], we were awoken by the sound of the breakfast horn. We quickly jumped out of bed, and made our way to the pavilion to avoid the sound of the horn in our tent. After breakfast was rotations. We got to play games, participate in some team building activities, do a service, and build swords. My group got to do the sword building first, which was tons of fun! We got to pretend to be Ammonites, and we made the swords to represent our temptations or sins and we cast them away...like we actually buried them next to the pavilion. Next was service. We got to help cute Connie prepare birthing kits for African mothers, we cut the diapers. Then came lunch, which was a super delicious chicken salad sandwich [I've been LOVING these lately...love]. Next was games, and we appeared to have lost quite a few people. We did the Aardvark game, and then some caterpillar game, of which we both lost. It was starting to get super hot, and I can't stand heat. Last we got to do the team building activities, after half our team left due to exhaustion and boredom [I thought everything was fun!], and the Trust Fall is always scary. Next we were scheduled to do skits with our cities, but everyone could not stand the heat, so we did a slip in slide instead. I took this opportunity to go wash my hair out in a faucet by the second pavilion. Some third wardies then came and played Farkle, which was intense. Dinner came quickly, and after was another quick devotional. This was probably the most fruitful part of the entire weekend. The entire Youth got to read the Book of Mormon in 10 minutes. Every person got one or two pages of the BOM, and we had 10 minutes to read it as many times we liked. I got the middle of 3 Nephi, when he comes to the Americas and blesses the children. I was very grateful for this passage. On our way back to testimony meeting, I kept hearing all the wonderful people talk about their part of the BOM, and how amazing it was...which made me realize it IS such an AMAZING scripture [amazing in the literal sense, as Dogherty would appreciate]. I feel like everyone got a page that really touched them, just like it did mean, which is very testimony building for everyone. It was a slow testimony meeting, but there were some great things learned. I did not take this opportunity, because I was observing everyone else because I get to give a talk on Youth Conference on Sunday. I did get to look at the stars, and they are so great. The picture today is of great Andi Bell, who I got to spend a lot of time with this weekend, she is just so inspiring! When it finally got dark, we all went back to the field, where we listened all about Christ's visit to the Americas. It was the exact same scripture I had read two hours earlier, how cool is that! Tonight, we actually stayed up and partied some...with Pop Rocks.

Day 18

The last day was quick, 3rd Ward likes to pack up and leave ASAP. Breakfast was delish, and we got to hear some final words from Moroni. He was quite powerful, and definitely touched the hearts of some of the Youth. We all got to participate in the Final Battle...actually it was just capture the flag, but it was all very intense. I think I actually got tan because of this event. My team won [all because I was fantastic at protecting flags]! After that, I sprinted for the pavilion, grabbed my lunch, and made it back to my car in record time. Me and Mem got a car with my Mom and Berkley. The ride home was quick, and I was glad to get a shower.

This was quite a fun weekend! I am glad I was part of Youth Counsel and got to plan some of this, but I loved the little surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment