Monday, October 29, 2012

WotY

This year I had my first word of the year.
And I loved it.

I first heard about it from one of my blogs that I follow last year. And then this year, and along with this year there was a giveaway! And nothing motivates me more than free stuff...so I had to think of a word to win this giveaway.

I thought of many things...I think I was even settled on love for a while. The giveaway came and went, and of course I didn't win, but I was still stuck on this word concept! I decided that love wasn't the word for me, so I came up with more lists, and plenty of good words.

Then one day, in the middle of February, it hit me.


At first I just thought it was to REMEMBER my last year at Hilllcrest, or REMEMBER the life changing experience I had with "Aida", or REMEMBER to listen...it pretty much encompasses all the other crucial words on my list.

I had no idea how much it was going to influence my actions!

I started writing in my journal, things that I wanted to REMEMBER. Like the Stake production we did of "On Cumorrah's Hill", or the week leading up to my patriarchal blessing.

I first applied it to my personal progress goals, and I made a little something on an index card: It was so helpful, and I loved having a few words to REMEMBER what I was supposed to be doing.

Heidi even texted me one week in June, saying that her EFY director quoted a prophet who decided on the most important word in the dictionary. Guess what it was?

"When you look in the dictionary for the most important word, do you know what it is?
It could be 'REMEMBER.' Because all of you have made covenants...our greatest
need is to remember...Remember is the word. Remember is the program."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

And then I realized there is so much more to REMEMBER! I kept finding things to apply, be it tomorrows homework, or inspirational ideas.

Like this:

Or this:

It all started affecting my outlook on life...I can't really explain it, but I just feel so great!

It was even the topic of Richard G Maynes talk at our regional stake conference. He talked a lot about REMEMBERING the sacrament, your divine potential, and covenants
  • Helaman 14:30
  • Doctrine and Covenants 3
  • Doctrine and Covenants 58
 I learned a lot from that talk.

I've already started thinking of next years word.
How about live, obey, love, work, or try?
Maybe awake, free, inspire, create, think, or strive.
Choose? Strong? Seek? Stand?

I've even thought about forget.

Guess it just depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment